Who doesn’t love a sweet, juicy, and hydrating treat? Of course, everyone does, and so the Huskies! But the question arises that, Can Huskies eat Watermelon? Is Watermelon Good for Huskies? How many watermelons should you feed your huskies? You’re going to know it all just in a few minutes, so keep reading!
The answer to the question is that, Yes! Huskies can eat Watermelon but without seeds and rinds. Seeds and rinds can be a reason for intestinal blockage so, in order to prevent them from happening, make sure to pull them out.
Why Are Watermelons Good for Huskies?
Watermelon is a rich source of many vitamins such as A, C, B1, B5, and B6. It also contains a significant amount of amino acids, lycopene and anti-oxidants and even a small amount of potassium too.
Watermelons can be a great source of hydration for your Husky on a hot summer day as it is composed of 92% of water. Being low in calories, Watermelon is very safe for your dog to eat since it would not disturb his/her balanced diet.
Below is the detailed analysis of the Vitamins and Minerals that Watermelons contain and why your dog needs them:
- It improves vision in dogs. So, if you want your dog to have a sharp eyesight, you might want to add it in his/her diet.
- It improves immunity in dogs.
- It is also responsible for fetal development in them.
- Although, dogs produce Vitamin C on their own, but conditions like stress, illness, excessive physical exertion (in case of the dogs that are used for tracking and hunting purposes), and injuries etc., can cause its depletion. So, administering a balanced amount of vitamin C in your dog’s daily diet is a perfect idea to maintain ideal health.
- It fights the free radicals present in their bodies that can cause them harm.
- Vitamin C plays a vital role in reducing the cognitive ageing process in dogs.
- Vitamin B1 or thiamine is essential for your dog’s health as the brain, and other higher body organs use it for carbohydrate metabolism.
- Lack of Thiamine in your dog’s diet can lead to conditions like loss of appetite and eventually weight loss.
- Extreme conditions include cardiovascular problems and neuromuscular weakness.
- Vitamin B5 is said to be an “anti-stress” vitamin.
- It plays a vital role in enzymatic activity.
- This vitamin aids in the proper absorption of proteins and fats present in the dog’s diet.
- It keeps your dog’s body well-toned by balancing the sodium-potassium amounts present, regulating the water supply.
- Vitamin B6 plays a vital part in the healthy growth of your puppies.
- Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, so they are a must to include in your dog’s diet.
- Since Amino acid’s deficiency is basically protein deficiency, it can lead to low reproductive performance, poor immunity, weight loss, etc.
What Are the Risks of Watermelon for Huskies?
Following are the possible risks of Watermelon for Huskies:
Indigestion or Diarrhea due to Excessive intake
The popular phrase “Excess of everything is bad” fits here perfectly. Eating Watermelon in an adequate amount would cause no harm to your Husky. However, eating it in an abundant amount may lead to problems like diarrhea, indigestion or bloating.
Blockage in the Digestive Tract
Swallowing of seeds by the Huskies can also cause a problem. One or two seeds may not become a reason for blockage in the digestive tract, but if more seeds are ingested, then it can possibly block the digestive tract. However, some fully grown-up Huskies won’t be affected at all.
The rind of the Watermelon is the hard part and is difficult to chew. The huskies may just swallow it without chewing it properly, which can cause intestinal obstruction. There is a possibility that your dog might choke on it too. So, you have to be very careful about that.
- Can Huskies Eat Pineapple? (& What To Be Aware Of)
- Can Huskies Eat Apples? (Why They’re So Great)
- Can Huskies Eat Strawberries? (What To Know Before Feeding)
- Can Huskies Eat Rice? (What Makes It So Good For Them?)
How to Feed Your Husky Watermelon?
There are several ways to feed your Huskies Watermelon but serving the pure form is recommended. The ready-made watermelon dog treat might be tastier but are not beneficial for your Husky’s health as they contain some artificial flavors, sweeteners, and preservatives.
Below are some amazing ideas mentioned that can make Watermelon exciting for your Huskies:
Cutting them up into smaller pieces
This is the simplest way to serve your huskies Watermelon. Just take a bowl, take the larger slices, and cut them up into smaller cube-shaped pieces. This is what it all takes to make a simple and nice treat for your pup!
Making a Fruit Salad for your Dog
You can also mix Watermelon with other healthy and safe fruits and serve it to your Husky. Huskies can eat fruits like blackberries, bananas, cranberries, and apple etc. They just need to avoid citrus fruits, grapes and cherries.
Making a Frozen Watermelon Treat
You can even make a frozen Watermelon treat for your Husky. All you need to do is take the seeds out of the pieces of Watermelon, cut the rinds off, blend the Watermelon with some water in a blender, pour the mixture in an ice tray and then freeze it. Your Husky will definitely love this!
How Much Watermelon Should You Feed Huskies?
As mentioned above, excess of everything is bad, excess of Watermelon for your Husky can also be harmful. Since Watermelon contains rich amounts of Vitamins and minerals, it can cause a disturbance in the natural balance of minerals and vitamins in their bodies.
No more than 50 grams for the puppies and 65-70 grams for the grown-up dogs should be consumed of Watermelon from time to time.
How and When to Introduce Watermelon to Your Husky?
The simplest and easiest way to introduce Watermelon to your Husky is to remove its rind and seeds, cut it into smaller and easily chewable square-shaped cubes and serve it to your dog.
Some other creative ways to serve your Husky Watermelon are mentioned above. However, hot summer days are the best days for your Husky to consume Watermelon as it’ll keep them hydrated.
Now, coming to the point that when you should stop introducing Watermelon to the dog? So, signs and symptoms of being over-fed are prevalent among all dog breeds, which prominently include a disturbance in their bowel movement, which happens to be normal in the morning but soft at night.
When to Avoid Feeding Your Husky Watermelon?
If you notice any changes in your puppy’s/dog’s behavior, for example, if he has become lethargic or has soft bowels, you must stop feeding him Watermelon or any particular diet he/she has been taking consistently.
In such circumstances, you are advised to visit a veterinarian or nutritionist immediately.
Watermelons can prove to be a perfect treat for your Husky, especially during the training sessions. It is not just because they like to eat Watermelon but also because these are very rich in essential nutrients and keep your pup hydrated in the hottest of the summer days.
You can either mix the Watermelon with the other safe and healthy fruits or make frozen watermelon treats. Your dog is going to love it anyway! But don’t forget to remove the rinds and the seeds.
Last but not least, make sure to remember that it should not be consumed more than the recommended amount as it can leave adverse effects on your dog’s health.